How to get the IDE to look like yours: main form with docked panels.

This forum is to discuss Lazarus, components, and your projects.
Will.Rubin

How to get the IDE to look like yours: main form with docked panels.

Postby Will.Rubin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi,

How did you get Lazarus the have a single primary window with all the editing components docked inside the main window? (Like the screen shots at the bottom of the main page and in the video you just posted.) I really like that style of IDE and so dislike the default style with separate windows for toolbar, editor, explorers, messages, etc.

sysrpl

Re: How to get the IDE to look like yours: main form with docked panels.

Postby sysrpl » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:25 pm

You need to install two packages which are in the components folder.

anchordockingdsgn.lpk
sparta_dockedformeditor.lpk

My current bundle include the anchor docking by default, and when a few more bugs are fixed will include the sparta docked form designer as well.

Will.Rubin

Postby Will.Rubin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. I just tried it on 1.6.RC2. I was able to successfully rebuild Lazarus, but after I docked the various inspector panels I couldn't get it to start without crashing. Had to revert.

Robsoft

Postby Robsoft » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:21 pm

AnchorDockingDsgn 0.5 works here (FPC 3.0.0, Lazarus 1.4.4 on Mac OS X El Capitan). Thanks!!

Would be great to get the form editor docked too - happy to give it a test at some point.

Robsoft

Postby Robsoft » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:11 am

Just installed the new version (Jan 2016 Update) - I really like the docked (Delphi 5 style) IDE, I find it much easier to work with when there are lots of windows kicking around from other apps etc.

I had a brief minor heart attack when I started the install (Mac OS X El Capitan, already had older Lazarus and FPC 2.6 installed), and it told me it wanted to install MacPorts (I have Brew installed, and use it quite a bit, and was always warned not to let the 2 systems mix) but it all seemed to go fine, I re-used the code-signing certificate from my other Lazarus installation to sign gddb, and my handful of test programs compiled and ran no problems.

Great work!

raquint

Postby raquint » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:42 pm

Will.Rubin wrote:Hi,

How did you get Lazarus the have a single primary window with all the editing components docked inside the main window? (Like the screen shots at the bottom of the main page and in the video you just posted.) I really like that style of IDE and so dislike the default style with separate windows for toolbar, editor, explorers, messages, etc.
I just dread the docked style, specifically when working with multiple monitors.
It's so much easier and far more efficient when you can move windows out of the way and independently can resize them as need fits...

Ralf

Return to “Lazarus”